Saturday, November 21, 2009

Santiago

I loved Santiago. It´s a truism to say the best way to get to know a place is through it´s people but it is. In the mere 36 hours I had to spend I was able to absorb the energy and vibe of the city, thanks to my (new) friend Patrick who lives there. Saw a few sites too - namely the Plaza des Armes, Cathedral, and the seafood Mercado - but the highlights involved ¨once¨ (a relaxed social fingerfood/tapas/wine affair) at his friend´s flat the night I arrived complete with several bottles of Chilean wine; brunch the following morning at an outdoor cafe in beautiful Bella Artiste; a short visit to the contemporary Chilean art museum; an afternoon at the very lively Santiago bar ¨La Piojera¨ (aka The Flea) where I experienced the local drinks Terremoto and PipeƱo (fermented wine with sweet something); and a visit to the street food market where I had a typical completo Italiano.

I loved Santiago and hope one day to be back, for longer. Also I am a new fan of the art of ¨hosting¨ travelers because I´ve had the pleasure of seeing what an amazing difference it can make in helping someone experience a new city.

Dashing now to catch my 10:30 flight to Punto Arenas... Adios!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Petagonia , here we come !!

love
mim

Unknown said...

Yup! Here now with SJ in Punta Arenas waiting for our 7 pm bus to Puertp Natales. So far it looks a bit like New Jersey but with lots of statues of sheep. I am sure once we get to the actual park it will be different :) Love you.

Post a Comment