Everything is wet now. The wet season has begun and almost overnight everything’s changed - from hot sweaty sun to overcast days with only occasional glimmers of sunlight. Yesterday it rained 6 times and our sunset kayake trip fell short of a sunset - obscured as it was by a dramatic blanket of clouds. (We had fun anyway.)
I am glad to be here to witness this huge shift from Nicaragua’s dusty dry season to its shiny green wet one before I go. Glad also for the opportunity to experience it still here on tropical Ometepe, where I am spending a few extra days away from the Inan Itah “commune” amidst the gardens of El Porvenir, alone again in a private room with a bed that has sheets and a bathroom with white towels (never mind flush toilet). On Chuck’s recommendation, I’ve asked for Habitacion 11 at the very end with windows facing the garden. There is a hammock outside my front door where I can still take a short nap if I want - though I think for a while anyway I am done sleeping in one.
I have worked out an arrangement to teach yoga for a few days at nearby El Zopilote, just 15 minutes up the road. Free morning classes in exchange for meals, including the woodfire stove pizza they serve for dinner 3 nights a week including this one - which will be my last. The yoga “studio” is nothing more than a brightly painted outdoor platform with a mesh screen above for protection against the sun - though not so much the rain. It’s rained twice during each class I’ve taught so far, and always during savasana which felt like perfect timing. The morning rain comes down as a light to moderate drizzle so not too distracting for relaxing the body and finding inner peace. On the contrary.
Kalena came with me to class today. She followed me home from Inan Itah last night, after I had returned from kayaking with Tarin and Chris. It’s a hike on to Porvenir from there and they’d (so) graciously offered to accompany me with headlamps on the dark rainy ½ hour walk through the fields and down the hill. Kalena and her sister Lanka, 2 of the Inan Itah dogs, decided to come along. Then Kalena decided to stay. I tried to send her home this morning, pointing uphill through the gate in Inan Itah‘s direction, but she wouldn’t leave. So instead we shared some toast and eggs for breakfast and went to yoga.
It is nice to have sweet gentle protective Kalena‘s company on my last day on Ometepe. She is a loyal one, waiting patiently through the night on the patio outside my bedroom door (tempted though I was to bring her in!) then by my yoga mat in the rain during class. She’s been a welcome reminder how much I miss having a dog, that maybe it will be time for one again when I return home.
(More final Ometepe days photos here!)
I am glad to be here to witness this huge shift from Nicaragua’s dusty dry season to its shiny green wet one before I go. Glad also for the opportunity to experience it still here on tropical Ometepe, where I am spending a few extra days away from the Inan Itah “commune” amidst the gardens of El Porvenir, alone again in a private room with a bed that has sheets and a bathroom with white towels (never mind flush toilet). On Chuck’s recommendation, I’ve asked for Habitacion 11 at the very end with windows facing the garden. There is a hammock outside my front door where I can still take a short nap if I want - though I think for a while anyway I am done sleeping in one.
I have worked out an arrangement to teach yoga for a few days at nearby El Zopilote, just 15 minutes up the road. Free morning classes in exchange for meals, including the woodfire stove pizza they serve for dinner 3 nights a week including this one - which will be my last. The yoga “studio” is nothing more than a brightly painted outdoor platform with a mesh screen above for protection against the sun - though not so much the rain. It’s rained twice during each class I’ve taught so far, and always during savasana which felt like perfect timing. The morning rain comes down as a light to moderate drizzle so not too distracting for relaxing the body and finding inner peace. On the contrary.
| Kalena |
It is nice to have sweet gentle protective Kalena‘s company on my last day on Ometepe. She is a loyal one, waiting patiently through the night on the patio outside my bedroom door (tempted though I was to bring her in!) then by my yoga mat in the rain during class. She’s been a welcome reminder how much I miss having a dog, that maybe it will be time for one again when I return home.
After lunch I will walk Kalena back to Inan Itah in case she’s forgotten where she belongs. I’m worried about her running after my taxi (yes I’m taking one this time!) and something bad happening if she’s around when I leave tomorrow or her just not finding her way back on her own. I know sometimes how tricky that can be.
(More final Ometepe days photos here!)
3 comments:
Karen,
kalena and you look perfect together. Enjoy the rain and have a safe trip home.
Edxo
Being little kalena a home! So glad you took her home to her pals at the commune. But she will miss you. What a treat to have her. Xxxs
I am having trouble deciding which image is more fantastic: morning drizzle during savasana, or kalena's canine company. I'll vote for both.
Post a Comment